Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The jungle trek day 3

(Day 31)

We woke up this morning, ate breakfast, and packed up quickly. Dalton, Blake, and I went down to the river and got some fresh water from the river and purified it with purification tablets.

It took us a good three hours to get back to the village. The jungle was tangled, mangled, and wild. There were plants with the most intimidating of thorns, and vines thicker than my legs which all made the attempt to stop us dead in our path. We kept on moving on.

We finally made it back to the village where we were to eat lunch. Sam, who had thought he had left his money belt (with his passport, etc.) at the village, was disheartened to see that it was nowhere to be found. Oh great! Here is Sam, stuck in Cambodia with no passport and no visa. Not good. We decided to check with the tour company when we got back, otherwise, we would have to travel out of the way to Phnom Penh to visit the U.S Embassy (this is what we ended up doing).

At the end of the trek, I was completely exhausted. The motorcycle ride back seemed to last an eternity, mainly because Tommy was tired, the brakes on our bike went out, and we had just gotten done hiking through the jungle for eight hours or so.

We finally made it back, however. It was actually sad to say goodbye to our guide Tommy. I got his Facebook and email information to stay in touch with him. We tipped him $20 which seemed to be a lot to him. I'm not even sure if tipping is a thing here in Cambodia, but we wanted to give him something. He was a great guide.

After securing a place to stay for the night in Ban Lung, we went out to Sal's restaurant, which, according to Lonely Planet, is the best place in town. This is going to sound weird, but I decided to get oatmeal. I had such a hardcore craving for oatmeal. It needed to be satisfied! And, gloriously, it was.

I fell asleep while reading my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment