Friday, January 23, 2015

Bus ride to Pakse with no food or direction, the Tuk Tuk scam, no vacancy, Indian food.

(Day 21)

The bus ride to Pakse was ridiculously long. It took us roughly 12 hours. It was hot and crowded. We didn't manage to get any breakfast or lunch, so we were starving. It's all part of the experience!

We finally stopped at a place where they were selling bread and crackers. I got some coconut crackers and a baguette, and, of course, a coca-cola.

They dropped us off in the middle of nowhere to scam us. Essentially, they have a deal made out with the Tuk Tuk organization (the mafia, I believe) that they will drop us off far enough from town that we will have to pay for a tuk tuk drive to get there. We couldn't avoid the scam.

When we finally made it to town, we searched and searched for a place to stay with no luck. Everywhere was full. It was late in the night (about 8 pm), so it didn't really surprise me. We found a Canadian guy from Quebec (he speaks mostly French, and decent English) who shacked up with us at a local hotel. The hotel was much more expensive than we usually pay (we paid about 100,000 kip per person), but we didn't really have a choice.

We ate Indian food for dinner, again. I got the chicken tikka masala, again. I didn't regret it. Like, at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment