Friday, January 16, 2015

Dramamine bus ride, Chiang Rai, Lahp kai,

(Day 12)

Today was simply a day of travel. I took Dramamine for the van ride back to Chiang Mai (to the surprise of some of you, I can learn from my mistakes). I slept on and off for the whole ride.

As soon as we got to Chiang Mai, we bought bus tickets to go to Chiang Rai for 180 baht per person. We had less than 30 minutes before the bus was to leave, so we ran to 711 and bought some toasties. Toasties are one of the SEA backpackers' secrets. They are little ham and cheese (and a variety of other concoctions) sandwiches which you buy for pretty much nothing and which are toasted right then and there. I bought two, along with some Oreos and water.

It took us three hours to get to Chiang Rai. It didn't take us too long to find a guesthouse for cheap. After dropping our bags off, we went to a restaurant which is recommended in Lonely Planet, Lung Eed. We got a traditional northern Thai dish called Lahp gai. It is chicken fried with different herbs and topped with fried chicken skin and onions. It was delicious!

On our way back to the guesthouse, we stopped at the night market. Arrio bought himself some Thai pants, and we relaxed while listening to some beautiful local Thai musicians. The lead singer was a young women who also played a violin-like instrument called (I believe) a Saw Duang.

Sleep came swiftly.

No comments:

Post a Comment